In business there is an area where there is sometimes a gender difference. The voice. One of your most important business tools is your voice. The ability to command a room, influence and impact others, and get through the tough times relies upon having a professional and disciplined voice.
Here are 10 tips for developing your professional voice.
1. Breathe deeply through your mouth into your diaphraghm. Your ribs, back, and belly should expand slightly. When you breathe here it supports your voice and displays a voice with strength and warmth.
2. Co-ordinate your sound and breath. They should be working together to develop and display a voice that has impact.
3. Hum. Feel the resonance in the body. Try to display some of that connection in your speaking voice.
4. Bite into your consonants and open your mouth on your vowels. Articulate. Nothing says knowledge like clarity and clear diction.
5. Relax. No tension in shoulders, neck, face, arms. etc………
6. Read the newspaper out loud being aware of commas, full stops, and inflection.
7. Send the gift of your voice. Project it out of your body. Let others receive it.
8. Read out loud to children.
9. Yawn. Not in front of your audience however! One of the best warm up exercises there is.
10. Enjoy! Words have meaning. Consider them. Consider your intent. Words can move mountains.